Saturday, March 7, 2009

Allie's Marker

Today we picked out Allie's marker. This was a rather difficult task, and I guess that is why it has taken us so long to complete. We had previously met with the memorial place, but we had not been able to commit to a design that we liked. Basically, we were stalling because it seemed so final. Even though we know it is final, most days I think we try to trick our minds into believing that it is all just a bad dream. That is what we want to believe, but since that is not possible we learn to accept reality.

After coming up with many ideas for Allie's marker, we finally agreed on one that we both liked and made an appointment with the memorial place. I still couldn't help feeling that I shouldn't be there, and even on our first visit the person asked, "Is this for a mother or grandmother?" It felt so wrong to reply with, "No, it is for our daughter." Our visit today was very surreal, and there were tons of decisions to be made. We didn't mind because we knew that she deserved the best, and we wanted to make sure that it was perfect for her. The cemetary where she is buried requires flat markers so we had some restrictions, but I think that it is going to turn out really pretty. It will take about 4 to 6 weeks to come in, and I cannot wait to have that for her. I visit her site almost every day, and I find it very comforting. I know it sounds silly, but I like to think that Allie can look down or hear me from Heaven. Therefore, her site is a place where I like to share my thoughts with her and God.

4 comments:

Aimee March 8, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

I think about you so much...

You are doing so good...and I am so glad you are sharing your heart openly with so many people. It will help you.

Love you lots..

Victoria Miller March 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

Susan, I'm sure Allie will be very proud of what you selected for her resting place. This day--picking a stone--is such a hard day. Another milestone, another layer of acceptance of the reality and permanence of loss. We're all thinking of you and holding you close dear sister/mother.

Anonymous,  March 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

I know the marker will be just like Allie....simply precious! May God continue to bless and comfort you. Love you!!
Tracie S.

Robin March 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

I still very vividly remember picking out Bryant's and Courtney's markers. It was such a hard decision. I know it will be just as beautiful as Allie was!

{{{HUGS}}}

Robin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP