Monday, April 27, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the Just Plain Ol' UGLY!

The Good:
Well, I am back from my week long trip. Wow, I was surprised to see all of my new bloggy followers. I cannot believe I am up to 30 now. Welcome everyone, and thank you for following our journey. As most of you know I have been out of town for a week on a school field trip. We went to a very magical place. Can you guess where it is? I'll give you a hint:




If you guessed Alabama Adventures, then I'm sorry you are wrong :) It was Disney World! It was really a great trip. I had never been, and it was truly an amazing experience. Now you do have to know that I am not a rollercoaster kind of gal, but I was trying to be strong for the students. The first rollercoaster that they convinced me to ride was the Rockin' Roller Coaster. I specifically asked if there were any upside down loops, and they proceeded to explain to me that it was just fast and only had three small corkscrews at the beginning. I thought to myself, okay I can handle this. Well, if you have ever been to Disney World and rode the Rockin' Roller Coaster, then you know that they LIED! I strapped myself in next to one of the students, who had also never ridden the ride, and the coaster took off at lighting speed (0-60 in 2.5 seconds). Yeah, I thought I was going to die! The entire time I was holding on for dear life I was saying over and over in my head "Try to be the adult, try to be the adult, try to be the adult!" but of course, the child loved every minute of it. I did not ride another roller coaster until we went to Magic Kingdom and found Thunder Mountain. If you have ever been to Six Flags, then you can compare Thunder Mountain to the Run-Away Mine Train. I called Michael with excitement and told him that I had found my park! Magic Kingdom has all of the kiddy rides :) It was a good trip, and I cannot wait to go back with my family.



The Bad:

Even though it was a nice trip, I was upset that my family wasn't there. I missed them terribly, and I don't think that it was a good idea to be away from them yet. Along with this and a few other issues I had to deal with on the trip, I realized that I was not emotionally stable enough to deal with certain situations. Therefore, bringing us to the down right UGLY part of my story.




The Just Plain Ol' UGLY:

I am not sure if the trip actually triggered alot of these emotions or if it was just time for my next wave of depression, but after my return home, I had what I would consider to be my worst meltdown so far. I am not sure why, but I have kept many of these emotions hidden from just about everyone except Michael. I am sharing them now in hopes of helping others that may be facing the same situation and to maybe help myself as well. For some reason I want everyone to believe that I am okay. I cannot tell you why I do this. I don't know if it is a normal part of grieving or if it is just my personality. Anyway, I have kept alot of emotion inside. As many of you know from prievious post, I have also beat myself up about many of the what ifs... with Allie. Even though I know in my heart that I did everything that I could for my sweet Allie, but I keep going back over all of the dreaded flashbacks and questioning what I could have done differently. I was having a hard time before I left on my trip, but I had gotten better right before I left. I am sorry that I did not post about these feelings, but like I said, for some reason I was scared to share these feelings. I thought that I had too many gloomy posts so I tried to find little highlights to share with everyone instead. Now that you have a little background lets get to the meltdown. My return on Friday was terrific! I don't think I could have gotten bigger squeezes from my boys, and my Little Man was a mommy leech the rest of the day. I could not have been happier! When I woke up Saturday, I felt as though my world was crashing in. I was in a very scary place with my grief. Little did I know that my sweet hubby was also headed downhill from all of the built up stress from the previous week of me being gone. Please know that now tiny things are no longer tiny. Everything is huge and too overwhelming to deal with. Therefore, once he started getting short with me just a little, I lost control. There was so much saddness that needed to get out of my poor little greif-stricken body. I didn't think that I was ever going to be able to gain enough control to stop crying. I wept for two days. All of the flashbacks returned, and I was flooded with memories of watching my poor innocent baby suffer. I went back to beating myself up about every decision that was made, and the horrible realization that I would never ,ever, ever, ever get see or hold my precious Angel again this side of Heaven hit me like a ton of bricks. I was devastated, hurt, depressed, and in need of some help. Thankfully, I have the best husband in the world to come to my rescue. We have always had a great line of communication between us, and even though we still have our small moments of stress, Allie has caused our relationship to grow even stronger. We talked, and cried (well, I cried), and prayed, and I cried some more, and we finally made it through. I feel like a new person today, and I am so thankful that I have a loving husband, a wonderful God, and a great support from family and friends. I hope that this message helps others to know that it is okay to talk about your feelings (even the UGLY ones). Please continue to pray for my family, because even after three months I've realized that we can still have our break down moments. I appreciate all you have done, and please continue to pray for all of the others on my prayer list as well: Jim Murrell, Annabel, Brianna, Stellan, and all of the other T18 babies. Thank you again.

7 comments:

Robin April 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Oh Susan....I wish I would have known! Yes, everything you are and have been feeling are COMPLETELY normal! PLEASE know that...OK? There is so much more to say...but it's so much easier in person. Call me when/if you want to talk!

To the "GOOD"....I could see you telling me that story all over again....it brought a HUGE smile to my face and a lot of laughter! It is funny on the blog...but HILARIOUS in person! LOL!

Just know that I am always here for BOTH of you...for the good, the bad, and especially the ugly!

I love you!!

{{HUGS}}

Robin :o)

Gail The Reading Lady April 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

Susan, it is normal to want to seem like we are handling things perfectly. Somehow, somewhere, we get the idea that as Christians we are supposed to be able to always "feel" secure. But remember, even Jesus wept. I'm not sure I'm saying what I want to say to you; but I think you should know that grieving is a long, long process. I personally think that when we lose someone we will always "grieve" for our loss. I know that time helps; but lets face - we are left behind. I'm glad you had a good trip and I am so thankful that you and Michael have such a special relationship. The strain has to be unbearable at times. Just hold onto one another when you can and forgive one another when you can't. You know how much you, Michael, and Mason are loved. Allie touched so many lives that people around the world are still lifting you up in prayer. I love you and remember you can talk to me anytime and I will talk with you, laugh with you, or cry with you.
Love ya,
Gail

Delekatala April 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

You don't know me, but i just had to comment. I recently went through the exact same thing. The day after Easter started my meltdown and it stuck almost the entire week. It is a terribly unfair thing we have to suffer.

BTW our daughters became angels on the same day, January 14, 2009.

Aimee April 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

Susan,

I wish I could hug you now..I am so proud of you for sharing your feelings. Its hard..I know. But you are very brave and YOU ARE helping others. But, you are also helping yourself walk through this grieving process by talking about it. Its OK to be sad and depressed. (for the short term) You will have a lot of days like that. Don't be afraid to grieve. Its just one of those things you have to do. Jesus will be right there with you..and He is the only One who truly understands your sorrow.

I am thankful for your sweet husband. He is special and you are blessed!!

I love you and miss you!

Jed April 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

Oh Susan,

I am so sorry that you are still having such a hard time. I think it is perfectly normal to want to appear strong for everyone but it is also normal for you to still be grieving. I do not think that you ever really get over such a loss. It took a lot of courage for you to write this. I hope it helped you in some way. I continue to pray for you. May knowing that so many people are praying for you give you strength to make it through this difficult time.

Love,

Lynne

jengallahar May 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Oh, Susan. All of this is so normal. And fortunately, Michael is able to grieve with you. So many times, fathers do not let themselves grieve and lines of communication begin to shut down. You have a wonderful support system, at home and in the community. We all love you and Michael and know that the Lord will provide comfort to you at all times!

Anonymous,  May 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

My dear little Susan,
You have to get those feelings out. It would not be normal not to have them. If you kept all of that locked up inside of you it would eat you up and Allie would not want her mother to be in that kind of shape. I am so glad you have a loving husband to help you through this.
You are still in my thoughts and prayers. Life is tough and we need each other just to make it through the hard times. That is what friends are for. And you still have a lot of healing to do.
Hugs, love and prayers to you and your family,
Amy Reaves

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP